WordPress Tips & Tricks: Turning Off Comments For All or Some Posts
Ok, this may seem really basic, but I know the first time I had to find it it drove me crazy, and I’ve had to help several people with the same issue, so it’s not just me (and yes, one of those times was this week, so I had the screenshots, why not do a blog post). WordPress is great at a lot of things, but sometimes the simple things can drive you crazy. In this case, one of the simple things is turning off comments, especially if you want them turned off for your whole website.
A Little Context
Back when WordPress was young and just for blogging, the idea of turning off comments probably seemed ridiculous, or didn’t even come up. Commenting & discussions were kind of the whole point of blogging back in the day (the 90s maybe? early 00s?). But now WordPress is used for many things, and often blogging isn’t even a part of that, even if users are creating blog posts. Plus, unless you take measures, you’re going to get spam instead of comments.
So in many cases the best, easiest solution is to turn off comments altogether.
On the other hand, sometimes you just want to turn off comments on some posts.
This short blog post will show you how to do both.
Turn Them All Off!
If you just don’t want people to have anything to say about what you have to say, you can turn commenting off fairly easily, and here’s how.
- Start a new blog post and look in the upper right of the screen where it says Screen Options and click on that.
- In the screen that opens up, note the two checkboxes, Discussion & Comments. Also note at the bottom of your post the Discussion box and the Allow comments & Allow trackbacks & pingbacks checkboxes (for future reference, although you can uncheck them now if you wish).
- Uncheck both boxes. Note how the Discussion box has disappeared.
- Close the Screen Options windows by clicking on the Screen Options text, and you’re done! None of your posts from now on will allow comments. Congratulations!
Turning Off Comments for Just Some Posts
Now maybe you’ve come upon this fascinating post a little late, and you already have posts with spammy comments and while you do want to get rid of those comments, you also want to make sure no one else can make spammy comments on your pearls of wisdom.
Fear not, that’s pretty easy too, and lucky for you there are two ways, one of which you already know.
Yes, you do. Go back to Step 2 above.
That’s right, you can go back into any of your posts and uncheck that nasty comments box.
Well, if you’ve just gone through the process above, you might not be able to right away, you might have to show the Discussion box first, then uncheck Allow comments.
But there’s an easier way, especially if you have several posts on which you need to turn off comments. Ready? Good. Trust me, it’s even easier than that first set of steps.
Turn Off Comments on Existing Posts
- Go to your WordPress site and on the menu on the left, select Posts -> All Posts.
- In the list of posts that appears, hover over any post for which you need to turn off comments and click on Quick Edit.
- In the screen that appears, deselect the Allow Comments checkbox (and Allow Pings if you want) and click the Update button in the lower right.
- That it, you’re done! Now just do that for any other posts where you need to shut down comments.